Monthly Meeting Recaps
Recaps from the Central Illinois Robotics Club’s monthly meetings. Although we haven’t posted any meeting recaps lately, we are still meeting every month!
Robot Show & Tell
- Mike Dvorsky displayed his ugly Christmas sweater and accessories. The sweater was red with a black and white pattern and a pair of robots knitted into the front. Mike added a strip of red and green LED’s covered with silver see-thru tape over the eyes, a wearable microcontroller, and some software to sweep the LED’s left and right. He then modified a pair of sunglasses with a micro-Arduino, a battery, and a strip of RGB LED’s to mimic the robots on his sweater. Mike and his son have also been busy on his 3D printer. His son printed out a 5″x5″ logo for the band Twenty One Pilots. The logo used multiple pieces printed in 1 of four different colors. Each piece was fitted together like a puzzle. The end effect had multiple colors weaved through the logo. Mike has also been working with his 3D printer to develop enclosures for the various boards he is working with. He developed a parametric model in OpenSCAD to vary the size, standoffs, and openings for any enclosure.
- Peter Campbell passed around his new heat gun he got for Christmas. He also demonstrated a countdown timer that he programmed in C#. The countdown program counts down the number of days until the next CIRC meeting. When it reaches 1 day remaining, it then counts down the hours, then the minutes. The program pulls the dates for the next CIRC meeting from the circpeoria.org website.
- Brian Oleson unboxed his new Hakko digital soldering station which he received for Christmas. He also informed the group about the upcoming Robot Revolution exhibit being developed by the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago. He also previewed his winter project of building a RC plane from scratch using the plans and web series Maker Hanger by Make Magazine.
- Next Monthly Meeting will be held on February 8th. The Location is to be determined.
- CIRC will be participating in Engineering Day at the Peoria Riverfront Museum on February 22nd.
- Automate 2015
- March 23-26
- 2015 Bot Brawl
- April 11
- Peoria MakerFaire
- June 6
Other Club Business
- BotBrawl Roles & Responsibilities
- Roles and responsibilities for the 2015 BotBrawl were assigned to club members
- This year BotBrawl registration will be done through email. Last year’s poor experience with Builders Database drove that decision.
- A decision must be made on renting a high-lumen projector for this year.
- Discussion also included how to video inside the combat arena – the club is looking to purchase a GoPro camera for the BotBrawl
- Dues Reminder
- A few members of the club are late on dues.
- Peter will start sending out Dues Reminder emails to those club members as well as reminders for members yearly.
- River City Labs Collaboration
- Brian met with Jay Babin at River City Labs about opportunities for collaboration
- One opportunity is to have meetings or build sessions meet at River City Labs’ space
- CIRC would hope to gain more members by getting exposure to makers
- RCL would hope to gain experience or members to help current members
- RCL is looking to have a Python programming class and they asked for potential teachers – Josh Whitely has expressed interest
- CIRC has challenged RCL to compete in the RC Combat at the 2015 BotBrawl as well as challenge other Makerspaces in the area
- Finally, discussion about a RCL/CIRC collaboration/competition happened.
January 17, 2015 at 6:13 pm | Monthly Meeting Recaps | No comment
April 13, 2014 at 4:46 pm | Monthly Meeting Recaps | No comment
March 9, 2014 at 7:30 am | Monthly Meeting Recaps | No comment
January 12, 2014 at 4:40 pm | Monthly Meeting Recaps | No comment
December 8, 2013 at 8:32 pm | Monthly Meeting Recaps | No comment
November 10, 2013 at 7:28 pm | Monthly Meeting Recaps | No comment
October 13, 2013 at 4:48 pm | Monthly Meeting Recaps | No comment
September 8, 2013 at 6:14 pm | Monthly Meeting Recaps | No comment
August 11, 2013 at 3:07 pm | Monthly Meeting Recaps | No comment
July 14, 2013 at 8:47 pm | Monthly Meeting Recaps | No comment